– Susan Galandiuk MD, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, @DCREdInChief
– Vladimir Bolshinsky MD, Peninsula Health, Victoria, Australia, @bolshinskyv
– Sandy Kavalukas MD, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, @sandykava
– Hillary Simon DO, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, @HillaryLSimon
– Manasa Sunkara MS3, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, @manasasunkara12
– Review pre-operative stoma marking and ostomy education.
– Understand “bail-out” ostomy creation options in medically and anatomically challenging patients.
– Discuss common postoperative ostomy complications and management.
– Review common peristomal skin pathology and treatment options.
– Colwell, Janice C. A.P.R.N., C.W.O.C.N.1; Williams, Toyia M.S.N., R.N.2. Management of the Patient With a Prolapsed Ileostomy. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum 65(12):p e1073, December 2022. | DOI: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000002605 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx83CpRLkqk
Non-operative management of stoma prolapse/reduction
– Colwell, Janice C. A.P.R.N.. Management of the Patient With a Retracted Loop Ileostomy Located in a Crease. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum 65(3):p e182-e183, March 2022. | DOI: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000002367 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6o7nG1fsQ
Management of a retracted stoma, in a crease, with peristomal skin breakdown
– Watanabe, Kazuhiro M.D., Ph.D.; Kohyama, Atsushi M.D., Ph.D.; Suzuki, Hideyuki M.D., Ph.D.; Kajiwara, Taiki M.D., Ph.D.; Karasawa, Hideaki M.D., Ph.D.; Ohnuma, Shinobu M.D., Ph.D.; Kamei, Takashi M.D., Ph.D.; Unno, Michiaki M.D., Ph.D.. Slug Method: A Technique for Stoma Prolapse Reduction Using High Osmolality of the 50% Glucose Solution. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum 63(12):p e565, December 2020. | DOI: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000001798 https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/dcr/b/dcr_1_1_2020_09_01_watanabe_20-00282_sdc1.mp4
– Baker ML, Williams RN, Nightingale J.. Causes and management of a high-output stoma. Colorectal Dis. 2011;13(2):191–197. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2009.02107.x.
– Behrenbruch, C., Carr, G., Johnston, M. and Woods, R. (2019), Three-point stapled fixation technique to manage ileostomy spout retraction. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 89: 423-424. doi: 10.1111/ans.15006
– O’Brien, Stephen J. M.B. B.Ch., B.A.O.; Ellis, C. Tyler M.D., M.S.C.R.. The Management of Peristomal Pyoderma Gangrenosum in IBD. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum 63(7):p 881-884, July 2020. | DOI: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000001701
– Paquette IM, Solan P, Rafferty JF, Ferguson MA, Davis BR.. Readmission for dehydration or renal failure after ileostomy creation. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013;56(8):974–979. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e31828d02ba
– Steele S, Hull Tracy, Hyman N, Maykel J, Read T, and Whitlow C. The ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 4th Edition. Volume II. Springer, Switzerland AG, 2022.
Please visit https://behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.
If you liked this episode, check out other recent Colorectal Surgery Episodes here: https://behindtheknife.org/podcast-category/colorectal/