Determining when to order imaging for blunt cerebrovascular injury is a diagnostic quandary that has long engendered controversy. Today we discuss a paper that introduced universal CT angiogram of the neck to screen for BCVI in all blunt trauma patients and then compared the result to what would have happened if some of the current screening guidelines were utilized. Join us as we discuss their fascinating results and what it means for blunt trauma patients going forward.
Elliott R. Haut, MD, Ph.D., a senior, nationally recognized name in trauma and acute care surgery at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Haut is a past president of The Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST).
Marcie Feinman, MD, MEHP, the current program director of General Surgery Residency at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and editorial board member of SCORE. She received her Master’s in Education in the Health Professions from Johns Hopkins.
David Sigmon, MD, MMEd, a PGY-6 resident at the University of Illinois at Chicago who plans on going into trauma surgery. He did two years of research in surgical education at the University of Pennsylvania where he also received his Master’s in Medical Education.
- Black JA, Abraham PJ, Abraham MN, et al. Universal screening for blunt cerebrovascular injury. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2021;90(2):224-231.
- Kim DY, Biffl W, Bokhari F, et al. Evaluation and management of blunt cerebrovascular injury: A practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020;88(6):875-887. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32176167/
- Biffl WL, Moore EE, Offner PJ, Brega KE, Franciose RJ, Elliott JP, Burch JM. Optimizing screening for blunt cerebrovascular injuries. (1999) American journal of surgery. 178 (6): 517-22.
- Geddes AE, Burlew CC, Wagenaar AE, Biffl WL, Johnson JL, Pieracci FM, Campion EM, Moore EE. Expanded screening criteria for blunt cerebrovascular injury: a bigger impact than anticipated. (2016) American journal of surgery. 212 (6): 1167-1174. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27751528/
- Ciapetti M, Circelli A, Zagli G et-al. Diagnosis of carotid arterial injury in major trauma using a modification of Memphis criteria. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2010;18 (1): 61.
Please visit behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.