Elliott R. Haut, MD, PhD, a senior, nationally recognized name in trauma and acute care surgery at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Haut is a past president of The Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST) and editor-in-chief of Trauma Surgery and Acute Care Open.
Marcie Feinman, MD, MEHP, the current program director of General Surgery Residency at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and editorial board member of SCORE. She received her Masters in Education in the Health Professions from Johns Hopkins.
David Sigmon, MD, MMEd, a PGY-7 resident at the University of Illinois at Chicago who will be a fellow at Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx next year. He did two years of research in surgical education at the University of Pennsylvania where he also received his Master’s in Medical Education.
- Torres CM, Kent A, Scantling D, Joseph B, Haut ER, Sakran JV. Association of whole blood with survival among patients presenting with severe hemorrhage in US and Canadian adult civilian trauma centers. JAMA Surg. Published online January 18, 2023.
- Sperry JL, Guyette FX, Brown JB, et al. Prehospital plasma during air medical transport in trauma patients at risk for hemorrhagic shock. N Engl J Med. 2018;379(4):315-326.
- Moore HB, Moore EE, Chapman MP, et al. Plasma-first resuscitation to treat haemorrhagic shock during emergency ground transportation in an urban area: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2018;392(10144):283-291.
- Cannon JW, Khan MA, Raja AS, et al. Damage control resuscitation in patients with severe traumatic hemorrhage: A practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;82(3):605-617.
- Howley IW, Haut ER, Jacobs L, Morrison JJ, Scalea TM. Is thromboelastography (Teg)-based resuscitation better than empirical 1:1 transfusion? Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2018;3(1):e000140.
- Guyette FX, Brown JB, Zenati MS, et al. Tranexamic acid during prehospital transport in patients at risk for hemorrhage after injury: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial. JAMA Surg. 2020;156(1):11-20.
- Smart BJ, Haring RS, Zogg CK, et al. A faculty-student mentoring program to enhance collaboration in public health research in surgery. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(3):306-308.
- National Academies of Sciences E. A National Trauma Care System: Integrating Military and Civilian Trauma Systems to Achieve Zero Preventable Deaths after Injury.; 2016.
- Braverman MA, Smith A, Pokorny D, et al. Prehospital whole blood reduces early mortality in patients with hemorrhagic shock. Transfusion. 2021;61 Suppl 1:S15-S21.
**Specialty team application link – https://forms.gle/DwrRcMYDaP3a3LaQA Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please visit https://behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.
If you liked this episode, check out other trauma episodes here: https://behindtheknife.org/podcast-category/trauma/