Anish J. Jain MD (@anishjayjain) is a T32 Research Fellow at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center within the Department of Surgical Oncology.
Timothy E. Newhook MD, FACS (@timnewhook19) is an Assistant Professor within the Department of Surgical Oncology. He is also the associate program director of the HPB fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Jean-Nicolas Vauthey MD, FACS (@VautheyMD) is Professor of Surgery and Chief of the HPB Section, as well as the Dallas/Fort Worth Living Legend Chair of Cancer Research in the Department of Surgical Oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
– Develop an understanding of Portal Venous Embolization (PVE)
– Develop an understanding of Sequential Hepatic Venous Embolization (HVE)
– Develop an understanding of Radiological Simultaneous Porto-hepatic Venous Embolization (RASPE)
– Develop an understanding of the traditional two-stage hepatectomy with PVE
– Develop an understanding of the Fast Track Two-Stage Hepatectomy
Papers Referenced (in the order they were mentioned in the episode):
1) Niekamp AS, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Odisio BC, Ahrar K, Tzeng CD, Vauthey JN. Hepatic vein embolization after portal vein embolization to induce additional liver hypertrophy in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Eur Radiol. 2020 Jul;30(7):3862-3868. doi: 10.1007/s00330-020-06746-4. Epub 2020 Mar 7. PMID: 32144462.
2) Laurent C, Fernandez B, Marichez A, Adam JP, Papadopoulos P, Lapuyade B, Chiche L. Radiological Simultaneous Portohepatic Vein Embolization (RASPE) Before Major Hepatectomy: A Better Way to Optimize Liver Hypertrophy Compared to Portal Vein Embolization. Ann Surg. 2020 Aug;272(2):199-205. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000003905. PMID: 32675481.
3) Nishioka Y, Odisio BC, Velasco JD, Ninan E, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Tzeng CD, Tran Cao HS, Gupta S, Vauthey JN. Fast-track two-stage hepatectomy by concurrent portal vein embolization at first-stage hepatectomy in hybrid interventional radiology / operating suite. Surg Oncol. 2021 Dec;39:101648. doi: 10.1016/j.suronc.2021.101648. Epub 2021 Aug 16. PMID: 34438236.
Please visit https://behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.
If you liked this episode, check out our recent episodes here: https://behindtheknife.org/listen/