– Barbra S. Miller, MD (Moderator), Clinical Professor of Surgery, The Ohio State University, @OSUEndosurgBSM
– Sophie Dream, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, @SDreamMD,
– Jessica Liu McMullin, MD, Endocrine Surgery Fellow, University of Alabama – Birmingham, @jess_mcmullin
– Herbert Chen, MD, Professor and Chair of Surgery, University of Alabama – Birmingham, @herbchen
– Understand the epidemiology and pathogenesis of kidney-related parathyroid disease and how these entities differ from primary hyperparathyroidism
– Describe the diagnosis of kidney-related hyperparathyroidism and its different presentations
– Define the indications for surgical intervention
– Recognize the different approaches and extents of surgery for treating the different types of renally mediated hyperparathyroidism including thymectomy and parathyroid autotransplantation
– Detail methods for safe and effective perioperative management
– Dream S, Kuo LE, Kuo JH, Sprague SM, Nwariaku FE, Wolf M, Olson JA Jr, Moe SM, Lindeman B, Chen H. The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons Guidelines for the Definitive Surgical Management of Secondary and Tertiary Renal Hyperparathyroidism. Ann Surg. 2022 Sep 1;276(3):e141-e176. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000005522. Epub 2022 Jul 18. PMID: 35848728.
– Wilhelm SM, Wang TS, Ruan DT, et al. The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons Guidelines for definitive management of primary hyperparathyroidism. JAMA Surg. 2016;151:959–968.
– Ketteler M, Block GA, Evenepoel P, et al. Executive summary of the 2017 KDIGO Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD) Guideline Update: what’s changed and why it matters. Kidney Int. 2017;92:26–36.
– Andress DL, Coyne DW, Kalantar-Zadeh K, et al. Management of secondary hyperparathyroidism in stages 3 and 4 chronic kidney disease. Endocr Pract. 2008;14:18–27.
– Cozzolino M, Brancaccio D, Gallieni M, et al. Pathogenesis of parathyroid hyperplasia in renal failure. J Nephrol. 2005;18:5–8.
– Lau WL, Cobi Y, Kalantar-Zadeh K. Parathyroidectomy in the management of secondary hyperparathyroidism. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018;13:952–961.
– Parfrey PS, Chertow GM, Block GA, et al. The clinical course of treated hyperparathyroidism among patients receiving hemodialysis and the effect of cinacalcet: the EVOLVE trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:4834–4844.
– Costa-Hong V, Jorgetti V, Gowdak LH, et al. Parathyroidectomy reduces cardiovascular events and mortality in renal hyperparathyroidism. Surgery. 2007;142:699–703.
– McManus C, Oh A, Lee JA, et al. Timing of parathyroidectomy for tertiary hyperparathyroidism with end-stage renal disease: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Surgery. 2021;169:94–101.
– Finnerty BM, Chan TW, Jones G, et al. Parathyroidectomy versus cinacalcet in the management of tertiary hyperparathyroidism: surgery improves renal transplant allograft survival. Surgery. 2019;165:129–134.
If you liked this episode, check out other endocrine episodes here: https://behindtheknife.org/podcast-category/endocrine/