It’s 1AM and the emergency department is calling about *insert terrifying foregut problem you haven’t seen since you were an intern here* and you wake up in a cold sweat to realize it was just a dream…this time. Tune in to this clinical challenge episode for some tips and tricks for managing foregut nightmares with Drs. Mike Weykamp, Nicole White, Andrew Wright, and Nick Cetrulo from the University of Washington’s Minimally Invasive Surgery team.
Referenced articles and videos:
1. Rodriguez-Garcia HA, Wright AS, Yates RB. Managing obstructive gastric volvulus: challenges and solutions. Open Access Surgery. 2017
2. Yates RB. Giant PEH: Management Principles for Unique Clinical Circumstances. 2017 SAGES Annual Meeting. Houston, TX. 2017
3. Millet I, Orliac C, Alili C, Guillon F, Taourel P. Computed tomography findings of acute gastric volvulus. Eur Radiol. 2014.
4. Mazaheri P, Ballard DH, Neal KA, Raptis DA, Shetty AS, Raptis CA, Mellnick VM. CT of Gastric Volvulus: Interobserver Reliability, Radiologists’ Accuracy, and Imaging Findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2019.
5. Barmparas G, Alhaj Saleh A, Huang R, Eaton BC, Bruns BR, Raines A, Bryant C, Crane CE, Scherer EP, Schroeppel TJ, Moskowitz E, Regner JL, Frazee R, Campion EM, Bartley M, Mortus JR, Ward J, Margulies DR, Dissanaike S. Empiric antifungals do not decrease the risk for organ space infection in patients with perforated peptic ulcer. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2021.
6. Horn CB, Coleoglou Centeno AA, Rasane RK, Aldana JA, Fiore NB, Zhang Q, Torres M, Mazuski JE, Ilahi ON, Punch LJ, Bochicchio GV. Pre-Operative Anti-Fungal Therapy Does Not Improve Outcomes in Perforated Peptic Ulcers. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018.
7. Wee JO. Gastric Volvulus in Adults. In: UpToDate, Louie BE (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. (Accessed on May 15, 2022.)
Please visit behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.