In this episode we’ll discuss common cardiac surgery post-op problems. Whether you’re on a cardiac surgery rotation or just covering an ICU with cardiac surgery patients for the night, these common post-op problems are bound to occur.
– Jessica Millar, MD- PGY-5 General Surgery Resident, University of Michigan, @Jess_Millar15
– Aaron William, MD- Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellow, Duke University, @AMWilliamsMD
– Nick Teman, MD- Assistant Profressor of Thorasis and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Virginia, @nickteman
– Understand the workup and management strategies for post-operative bleeding in the post-cardiac surgery patient.
– Understand how to recognize and manage post-cardiotomy cardiogenic shock in the post-cardiac surgery patient.
– Understand the workup, short-term, and long-term management for post-cardiac surgery atrial fibrillation.
– 2019 AHA/ACC/HRS Focused Update of the 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS Guideline for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000665
– 2014 AATS guidelines for the prevention and management of perioperative atrial fibrillation and flutter for thoracic surgical procedures, Executive summary: https://www.jtcvs.org/article/S0022-5223(14)00835-6/fulltext
For episode ideas/suggestions/feedback feel free to email Jessica Millar at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit https://behindtheknife.org to access other high-yield surgical education podcasts, videos and more.
If you liked this episode, check out our 4 Part Cardiac Surgery Crash Course Series here: https://behindtheknife.org/podcast/cardiac-surgery-crash-course-series-episode-1-intro-to-the-cardiac-or/